Family-based Immigration Law

Guiding you through Family immigration


We can help you and your family migrate to the U.S.

We understand how difficult it gets having loved ones living abroad and not being able to meet them. If you are living in the U.S. and want to bring your loved ones to live with you in the U.S., then you have come to the right place. The immigration process for the U.S. can get quite complicated and overwhelming, and many families lose hope and give up, however with our help, we’ll guide you through this process to make it easy as possible for you. We have helped hundreds of families migrate to the U.S. and we can help you too.

Family Immigration Process

Identifying your family’s situation

Every family is different and there are many situations that need to be considered when applying for immigration to the U.S. Your family details will help us in identifying how to get you approved to come to the U.S.

In our first meeting, we will discuss your family, history, the details regarding who is migrating to the U.S. and the status you are trying to achieve. Since we have to prove everything to the U.S. government, it is crucial for us to know all the correct information, therefore we require all the parties to be open and honest during our conversations so that we are able to provide you with the best advice to have success with the immigration offices.

Once we identify your specific situation we will apply for the relevant form that will help you in attaining your family-based immigration visa.

roundtable featuredo2 400x330 1

Most common options for Immigrating

Immediate family member

Before you apply for a family-based immigrant visa it is important for your sponsoring relative to properly fill out and file I-130 Petition for Alien Relative. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services must approve this petition, following which the sponsoring relative must complete, sign and submit an Affidavit of Support to ensure that he/she has resources to support the immigrant in the U.S.

Spouse or Fiance Visas and children of

If you are engaged or married to someone living in the U.S. then there is a heavy chance that you can get a family-based visa. In order to obtain a green card you will have to file two forms i.e. the I-130 Form and I-485 Form along with the required photographs and documentation. Then, you will have to pay the required fees to the government agencies and get your biometrics completed. Once that it is done, you will have to undergo an interview with an immigration agent who shall either approve or deny your application.

Common Types of U.S. Visas

The following are the common types of U.S. Visas that a person can use to migrate to the U.S.:

  • K1 Visa: This visa allows a fiancé to stay in the U.S. for ninety days to marry a U.S. citizen.
  • K2 Visa: It allows unmarried children under the age of twenty-one of K1 visa holders to stay in the U.S.
  • K3 Visa: It allows a U.S. citizen to sponsor their spouse in the U.S.
  • K4 Visa: It allows children of K3 visa holders to stay in the U.S.

Potential Problems during Family Immigration

Identifying your family’s situation

How your application could get denied

There are different reasons why your family-based immigration application can get rejected. The following are some of the more common pitfalls and are situations we can help you avoid:

Marrying outside the US

Other countries have different policies on marriage than the US. Proper documentation needs to be provided to show this was a legally binding marriage outside the US.

Difficulty speaking English

A certain level of English-fluency is required by the immigrating-party to obtain a visa. If one is not fluent enough, they may be denied.

Previous Visa expiring

Renewing one visa may take precedence over another. Applying for two different types at the same time and get one or both of the applications denied.

Undocumented Individuals

Lack of documentation can be a reason for denial and/or cause this process to take much longer. Depending on whether the spouse is a fiance or married already would change the situation


Unmarried children under the age of 21 are able to immigrate much quicker and not subject to annual visa quota. If the children are married and/or over the age of 21, they will be considered adults and subject to standard immigration processes.

Previous Marriages

You will have to provide divorce documentation or a death certificate to prove a previous marriage has been ended.

Failure to attend appointments

An in-person appointment is required for an application to be considered complete. All appointments must be attended or rescheduled or your paperwork can be denied.

Health or medical disorders

If you fail to provide the correct medical records, if you are a drug abuser, someone who is deemed a threat to themselves or others, or have diseases found outside the US and could be dangerous to the public, all of these reasons can be used to deny your application

Criminal background or security related

People convicted of various crimes are not permitted to enter the US. These include but are not limited to repeat criminal offenders, money laundering or fraud, drug trafficking, prostitution, and commiting crimes against religious freedoms.

What our Family Immigration clients are saying

Family-Based immigration service Testimonials

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.
Formal Purple Jacket White Background color
John Doe
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.
Formal Purple Jacket White Background color
John Doe
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.
Formal Purple Jacket White Background color
John Doe
Image box 1
Image box 2
Image box 3

Schedule an appointment with Jane Today

    for an in-person consultation at our Dublin office or online

    Get a one-on-one consultation with Jane so she can identify your needs and how we can be help you.

    See our Frequently Asked Questions below for commonly asked questions about family immigration

    Schedule a Consultation?

      Frequently Asked Family Immigration Questions

      A green card is issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services that allows the person to live in the U.S. and enjoy various benefits of being a permanent resident in the U.S. It allows the person to live and work in the U.S. lawfully.

      Costs vary depending on the situation, where the family member lives, their relation to you, and more. Government fees can cost between $1000-2000 which does not include a required medical examination. If certain documents like a birth certificate, marriage certificate and more need to be translated from your native language to English, additional fees may apply.

      Biometric screening is the process in which the government representative records the individual’s fingerprints and takes their pictures and signature in order to ensure that the person does not have any criminal records by running the information through the government’s records.

      A spouse based green card can take approximately two to three years to process depending on where you are currently living or where your U.S. citizen spouse is living.