J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Overview

The J-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa open to visitors from other countries who come into the United States for certain work and study related purposes. J-1 applicants can earn visas for teaching, studying, research, training, consulting, and other similar purposes. Eligibility There are 15 different categories of visitors who can qualify for a J-1 […]

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa Overview Read More »

Cannabis and Immigration Law

Marijuana has become a confusing legal field throughout the United States. While marijuana is still illegal at the federal level under the Controlled Substances Act, a majority of states have legalized marijuana in some form, whether just for medical use or also for recreational use. The discrepancies in marijuana law may be even more confusing

Cannabis and Immigration Law Read More »

Maintenance of Status and Grace Periods for Nonimmigrant Workers

Foreign nationals in the United States must maintain their status and lawful presence to remain compliant with U.S. immigration laws. Many nonimmigrants in the United States have an employment-related immigration status for them to perform a specific job and legally remain in the country. When nonimmigrants with employment-related status have their employment terminated, there may

Maintenance of Status and Grace Periods for Nonimmigrant Workers Read More »

What is DACA?

On June 15, 2012, the secretary of the Department of Homeland Security under the Obama administration announced a new immigration policy known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). This policy allows certain people who came to this country as children to request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to

What is DACA? Read More »

PERM Labor Certification

PERM Labor Certification is the process in which foreign nationals, in preference categories EB-2 and EB-3, can obtain an employment-based immigrant visa (Green Card). Before an employer can petition on behalf of a foreign worker, the employer must first obtain an approved Labor Certification from the Department of Labor (DOL). Labor Certification is submitted by

PERM Labor Certification Read More »