Students & Scholars

Overview of F-1 Student Status

F-1 VISAS International students who plan to attend an academic program or English language program at a U.S. college or university may do so by obtaining an F-1 Visa. To maintain their status, F-1 students must take a full course of study each term. Students on F-1 Visas may remain in the U.S. for up …

Overview of F-1 Student Status Read More »

Unlawful Presence for Students

Introduction The start of a new academic year will bring thousands of foreign nationals to the United States to study at one of the nation’s many rigorous academic institutions.  The United States derives many benefits from allowing foreign nationals to study at its colleges and universities, including but not limited to, diversified classroom discussions and enriched collegiate …

Unlawful Presence for Students Read More »

Students & Cap-Gap Protection

Since 2008 an F-1 student who has a pending H-1B application at the United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) to change status from a student to a professionally skilled worker will be able to automatically extend his/her lawful status until October 1 of the fiscal year for which H-1B status is being requested.  The …

Students & Cap-Gap Protection Read More »